Sorbetto is a free pattern from Collette, available as a PDF. It’s also an excellent beginner pattern. I’ve been wanting to make a quick garment to wear this summer, and this one fit the bill. It’s been made umpteen million times (okay, maybe not that many, but it’s an extremely popular pattern), so how could it possibly go wrong?
Why did I choose this pattern? First of all, there are two pattern pieces. No fussy cutting, and only darts to mark. It has a bias finish on the neckline and armholes, so there are no facings. It’s flattering, classic yet modern at the same time.
Surprisingly, I don’t have much in my fabric stash that is suitable, but I did have some leftover linen, as well as some fabric left over from one of the Sewaholic Granville shirts I made in the spring, so I have some options. I found out the hard way that the fabric I used in the Granville shrinks horribly, so I prewashed the remaining fabric. Yes, I know I should have prewashed. I always do, but I was in such a hurry to make the shirt that I skipped prewashing, and now I have a lovely handmade shirt that doesn’t even fit my 13 year old.
Prewash, people! I’ve been sewing for more than 25 years, and I still neglect this important step sometimes. Often, it doesn’t make a difference, but when it does, you’ll kick yourself for not doing it. Trust me.
Anyway, I decided to make my first Sorbetto out of some lovely red & yellow cotton that I found in my stash. I’ll still have plenty to make a dress with, since it’s nice and wide. This pattern needs fabric with a bit of drape to it… I’ve seen it made out of quilting cotton, which is fine, unless you’re full-busted like I am. The pattern has only got side bust darts, and no real waist shaping, so it would fit like a paper bag if I used stiffer fabric for it. I usually save my quilting cotton for dresses.
Modifications were, of course, necessary. I had to do a full bust adjustment, which went fairly quickly and painlessly. I’ve done them enough times now that they come somewhat naturally, unless, of course, I am working with a more complicated pattern. Sorbetto was a piece of cake though. I ended up doing a 1″ FBA, and used the size 10. I did not have to grade the pattern.
The other modification I made was to change the hemline. The top is a little on the short side for my liking, and I don’t really like the straight hem, so I used the hemline from the Granville shirt to both lengthen and change the shape of the hemline on my Sorbetto.
While I’m waxing poetic about my Sorbetto, I’m going to leave this here. Look how versatile this pattern is! 7 Days of Sorbetto. She even made a pattern for sleeves, since she doesn’t like the sleeveless top. She’s made a few different neckline variations, and even a 1920’s style dress. I really quite like the tie front version, but I don’t think it would suit me.